Surprised or Not?!
1. Cow carts & fancy cars drive on public roads and highways
2. All roads are two lane and windy; no 4, 6, 8, 10 lane highways here!
3. Our grocery store sells flour tortillas but no corn 😦
4. Favorite sports: soccer (football), basketball, rugby
5. No stadium seating movie theaters in town
6. Shoprite: major grocery store = no where close to Target size
7. FLM (the Malagasy Lutheran Church) has traditional liturgy with organ/keyboard music every Sunday
8. Local “farmers” markets everywhere!
9. A kennel to take our dog to when we travel (only one in town).
10. Cheese! Brie, blue, goat, parmesan, mozzarella, swiss (no extra sharp cheddar though).
11. Hotely = rice fast food
12. People have pet turtles. Dogs & cats are for protection only
13. Power outages = common; high speed internet = common; cell phones = common; television = common; public transportation / walking to get where you need to go = common
14. French Fries with good ketchup
15. Coca-cola! No diet, lime, or caffeine free though
16. Homemade yogurt & cheese. Fresh eggs! No refrigeration
17. No dancing lemurs. Lemurs are pretty much found only in National or Private Parks.
**Also, no elephants, zebras, lions, monkeys or other “typical” african animals live in Madagascar**
18. Christianity represents 50% of the population. The other 50% is of traditional beliefs.
19. Restaurants in Antananarivo: Tex-Mex, Indian, Korean, Chinese, Italian, Tapas, American foods, Pizza galore, French = ALL delicious!
20. The rice is red & delicious. Most Malagasy people eat rice 3 times a day. Morning, Noon, & Night = rice!